The Boys & Girls Club of the Lower Naugatuck Valley was established in 1926 as the Community Building Association. We were incorporated as a Boys Club in 1956, and merged with the Community Center in 1969. Girls were admitted as full-time members in 1979 and the organization was renamed the Community Center Boys and Girls Club. In 1993 the name was changed again to the Boys & Girls Club of the Lower Naugatuck Valley, reflecting our service increase to the entire Valley. After a devastating fire, our Raymond P. Lavietes Clubhouse in Shelton was rebuilt and reopened in June of 1999. And in May, 2009, our Joel E. Smilow Clubhouse opened in Ansonia, answering an overwhelming demand for service to the youth of that community.
In December of 2014 we opened our Seymour Unit to service all Seymour public school students in grades K-8. The program ran through the end of the school year with 18 students, and now after completing the 2014-2015 school year, has seen a 300% increase in student memberships. The Seymour Unit is staffed by adult employees of the Boys & Girls Club of the Lower Naugatuck Valley. Seymour School buses transport the students at the end of each day from their school to the Seymour Unit. The Program runs until 6:30 pm each day.