Safety & Resources
Safety is our Number One Priority
At the Boys & Girls Club of the Lower Naugatuck Valley, there is nothing more important that the safety of our members. We work every day to create a safe, fun environment so kids can have every opportunity to be successful in life.
We do not tolerate inappropriate behavior of any kind, including child sexual abuse or misconduct. Ensuring Club members’ safety is paramount to their success, and we do this through strict adherence to our safety policies.
- Conducting mandatory criminal background checks
- Immediately reporting any critical incident to the appropriate authorities and then to Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- Holding regular, Board-led Safety Committee meetings throughout the year to elevate safety to the highest level of governance
- Conducting mandatory annual safety assessments
- Engaging leading third-party safety experts on training, policies, and resources
- Continually updating our sexual abuse prevention policies, practices, and trainings that align with best practices of healthcare and school-based settings
- Delivering appropriate, ongoing safety training to all staff and volunteers before granting them access to our members
- Continually updating safety policies in place that protect our youth, including supervision, transportation, communication, and prohibition of private, one-on-one contact
- Informing parents and guardians of safety policies upon youth membership application
- Requiring that any employee looking to move to another Club must have a reference from the previous Club
- Prominently displaying key safety resources and information, including the Child Safety Helpline and Crisis Text Line